PEST MANAGEMENT DECISION GUIDE: GREEN AND YELLOW LIST
Brown Leaf Spot on Leafy vegetables
Cercospora spp. Sinhala- Dumburu Pulli; Tamil –Ilaimarakkarikalil kapila pulli
- Improve drainage
- Use disease free planting materials
- Apply organic manures (10 tons/ha)
- Apply recommended dosage of N and K fertilizers
- Look for circular spots having a pale brown to off-white centre with a red margin on upper side of the leaves
- Small black dots can be seen in the centre of lesions
- Yellowing, drying and extensive shedding of foliage
- Remove and burn infected plants
- Practise early harvesting
- Always wear personal protective equipment while handling pesticides. Read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully before handling pesticides
- Do not eat, smoke or drink while spraying pesticides.
- Do not repeat pesticides with same mode of action.
- WHO Class U – Unlikely to present acute hazard in normal use.
- FRAC – Fungicide Resistant Action Committee
Chlorothalonil (500 g/L SC). Rate of dilution- 30 ml/10 lit. of water. Rate of application – 950-1200 ml/ha
WHO class U. FRAC M5- Multi site. Apply only after harvesting. Pre harvest interval- 14 days. Toxic to predatory mites, fish and earthworms
Mancozeb (80% WP). Rate of dilution- 20g/10 lit. of water. Rate of application – 650-800 g/ha
WHO class U. RAC M3- Multi site. Apply only after harvesting. Pre harvest interval- 14 days. Toxic to predatory mites, parasitoids and fish and moderately toxic to flower bugs
CREATED/UPDATED: August 2018/August 2020
PRODUCED BY: Plantwise
©CAB International. Published under a CC-BY-SA 4.0 licence.