PEST MANAGEMENT DECISION GUIDE: GREEN LIST
Brown leaf spot on rice
Cochliobolus miyabeanus (Bipolaris oryzae)
- Pre-soak seeds in cold water for 8 hours, then hot water (53-54°C) for 10-12 minutes before planting.
- Only transplant seedlings which have no brown spot symptoms.
- Destroy infected rice crop by burning soon after harvest.
- Control of weeds during and post-season.
- Addition of calcium and potassium in soil to boost disease resistance.
- Avoid irrigation from infected to uninfected plots.
- Monitor crops weekly during growth season. Observe for small, brown, circular lesions on the leaves, sheaths, glumes and panicles. As lesions age they become oval, light brown, grey centre with a red-brown margin.
- As soon as symptoms are observed, undertake direct control measures.
- Remove infected plants and burn.
CREATED/UPDATED: April 2018
PRODUCED BY: Plantwise