PEST MANAGEMENT DECISION GUIDE: GREEN AND YELLOW LIST
Puffiness in Tomato
- Use potassium enriched fertilizer during planting like N:P:K 17:17:17 or 20:20:20 @ 100kg/acre.
- Avoid excessive application of nitrogenous fertilizers.
- Maintain beneficial pollinators around the farm.
- Look out for:
- Angular or flat-sided and bloated fruits.
- Open cavities between the seed gel area and the outer wall, when the fruits are cut open, making the fruit hollow.
- Light fruits in relation to their size
- For greenhouse tomato, ensure optimal temperatures (15-25°C)
- Gently shake or tap the flowers to spread pollen and encourage pollination
- Use protective gear when applying foliar fertilizers
- Follow the instructions on the product label and safely dispose of empty containers
Spray using potassium containing foliar e.g. Agroleaf high-K (N:P:K- 15:10:31 +TE) @ 1.5ltrs/acre Goldfert (N:P:K-10:50:10+TE)
CREATED/UPDATED: November, 2016
PRODUCED BY: Plantwise
©CAB International. Published under a CC-BY-SA 4.0 licence.