PEST MANAGEMENT DECISION GUIDE: GREEN AND YELLOW LIST
Snow scale on Soursop
- Prune trees to enhance aeration in fields.
- Remove all pruned material from the field and burn it to avoid spread of the pest.
- Avoid planting other host plants such as citrus and pineapples near the field
- Apply a 15 cm wide band of Deltamethrin with a brush at the base of the stem (1 foot from the base)
- Walk through the field on a weekly basis, Check trees for evidence of pests.
- Also check nearby sorrel and pigeon peas as these are known hosts
- Institute control measures when scales are first observed on fruits, leaves or trunks.
- Spray with agricultural oils once the pest has been seen
- Apply agricultural oils at 200 ml per 20 lt of water
- Spray with soapy solution (potassium/insecticidal soaps) (Safer soap)
- Add 10-15 tablespoons full of liquid soap in 20 lt bucket of water and spray
- Ensure appropriate protection is worn during handling of agrochemical products.
- Rotate chemical use to prevent the build-up of resistance to these chemicals
Spray Acetamiprid (Caprid 2.5-5 ml or 1/2-1 tsp per gal. water) which has contact systemic and translaminar activity
WHO II (Moderately
hazardous). IRAC Code 4a. Wait for chemical to dry before re-entry.
Spray Pyriproxyfen (Admiral 5-10mls or 1-2 tsp per gal water). Insect Growth regulator
WHO U (low toxicity). IRAC Code 7c. Do not re-enter until chemical has dried. If swallowed do not induce vomiting give water and call a doctor
Apply with a brush Deltamethrin (750 mls in 20 lt of water)
WHO Class II. Pyrethriod Insecticide. IRAC 3A
CREATED/UPDATED: April 2014
PRODUCED BY: Plantwise
©CAB International. Published under a CC-BY-SA 4.0 licence.