PEST MANAGEMENT DECISION GUIDE: GREEN AND YELLOW LIST
Antestia in Coffee
Antestiopsis spp. Agasurira in Kinyarwanda
- Prune coffee bushes in June and July
Carry out coffee bush handling such as removal of unwanted suckers
- Weed all grasses from under the coffee bushes
- Leave buffer space (> 5m) between fields
- Leave 2 m space between trees
- Make regular visits to your coffee garden and look for antestia on coffee bushes at leat once every two weeks.
- Visually count Antestia bug in the morning or in the evening. During day hours, it is hard to see them as they fly around.
- Threshold: an average of one antestia bug per coffee bush/tree.
- Hand pick and destroy antestia collected from coffee trees (berries, leaves, stems). The bugs may be destroyed either by burning them and burrying in the ground.
- When using a pesticide, always wear protective clothing and follow the instructions on the product label, such as dosage, timing of application, and pre-harvest interval.
Spray alpha-cypermethrine (such as Fastac), at the rate of 4.5 ml of a.i. in 15 liters of water.
WHO Class II (moderately hazardous); Apply in the morning or evenings; Use personal protective clothing when handling and applying alpha-cypermethrine; Keep out of reach of children and away from food. Respect application measures on the label (doses, time of application, etc). It is an eye irritant. Do not harvest until two weeks after applying (PHI). Do not graze animals in areas which have been sprayed. Re-entry interval (REI) is 24 hours.
CREATED/UPDATED: October 2013/December 2020
PRODUCED BY: Plantwise
©CAB International. Published under a CC-BY-SA 4.0 licence.