Plantwise Factsheets for Farmers
Preparation of neem solution
Recognize the problem
solution is a botanical pesticide that can be used for the control of insects,
including many caterpillars.
pesticide is environmental friendly because it has no residual effects. Moreover, it can be easy
to prepare and the cost is very low for the farmer.
- Neem is less toxic to living organisms and their environment than
- Spraying should be undertaken in the cooler
hours of the morning or late in the evening
- During periods of hot weather, the frequency
of spraying should be increased. In winter, spray once every 10 days and in
the rainy season spraying every day is recommended.
- Insects lay eggs on the underside of the
leaves so it is important to spray under the leaves also
- The kernel extract also controls sucking
insects like aphids, whiteflies and stem borers but farmers need to spray several times weekly
50g of neem kernel is required per 1 litre of water
- Remove the outer coat of the kernel before
- Gently pound the neem kernel in such a way that
no oil comes out
- Gather the pounded neem kernel powder and soak
it overnight in water
- Add 30ml of the neem solution to 1 litre of
water and stir well
- The solution should be used within 8 hours
The recommendations in this factsheet are relevant to:
Plantwise Factsheets Library app
Get all of the factsheets and pest management decision guides from this website in an offline format via the Plantwise Factsheets Library app.